Picnic Cake

Picnic Cake

We had a few friends from church over Friday night for dinner and games. The engaged couples beat the married couples at The Newlywed Game, which I told them would happen when they suggested we play that one. The couple who have been married the longest knew the least about each other. I suppose that's normal - jobs, kids and life get in the way - who pays attention to what we wear to bed at night, afterall? Brad made me blush by saying that I didn't wear a gown when he was asked what color mine was the night before. I actually wear T-shirts and shorts usually, don't you?

Oh yeah. This is a food blog, isn't it? I forgot. And you're wondering about that pile of chocolate goodness up there, aren't you? Oh, yes. That? That's chocolate picnic cake. It was easy (it's really not homemade at all) and a huge hit. See that picture down there? I'm surprised they didn't lick the pan! Well, Brad tried, but I wouldn't let him.

Picnic Cake

I heeded the calls of "No pizza! I'm on Weight Watchers!" from a few people. We had sub sandwiches instead (hold the mayo, please). But when it came to dessert I went all out. I mean, if you're going to have guests over you want to wow them, right? And this fudgy, crunchy, rich, chocolate cake wows every person I serve it to. I'll never tell them how easy it is to make. But the Internet? I have no trouble telling you. And here you go.

Picnic Cake
Adapted from Allrecipes
Printer-friendly version

Ingredients
1 package non-instant chocolate pudding mix
1 chocolate cake mix
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup toffee bits
1/2 cup butterscotch chips

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 9x13 pan.
2. In a large pan, prepare pudding according to directions. Remove from heat. Stir cake mix into pudding and mix well.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan, and sprinkle with chips and bits.
4. Bake 25 minutes, or until tester inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving.