Gingerbread Muffins

Gingerbread Muffins

It had been so long since I baked my oven was literally crying out to me. I could hear it! But I couldn't give it my whole attention because, well, it was so messy outside that I couldn't focus beyond the couch and television. Or beyond the cats. (I took lots of cat pictures yesterday.) That's why these muffins were a good choice. Well, not because of the cats. That was poor grammar, wasn't it? An editor should know better. I blame it on the weather.

This recipe was short and sweet; I used up my molasses; and I maintained my popularity at work by walking in with these warm, sweet and spicy goodies on a cold, rainy day. Personally I don't care for gingerbread, but a lot of people apparently do. I saw one guy eat four of them. I'd say that means they were good. Wouldn't you?

Gingerbread Muffins
Adapted from Taste of Home
Printer-friendly version

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2.5 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup flavorless oil, such as vegetable
1/4 cup molasses

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and cloves.
3. In another bowl, blend the ginger, milk, oil and molasses.
4. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined.
5. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean. (My muffins only took 15 minutes so be careful not to overbake).
6. Cool five minutes in pan before removing to wire rack. Serve warm.