Strawberry Cake

Strawberry Cake

I know, I know. It's all dessert all the time around here lately! It just seems like there's always a birthday, holiday or other event that calls for dessert. Plus, baking is my favorite part of kitchen work, and three, my savory foods haven't been terribly thrilling lately as I'm trying to "be good." You know what I'm saying.

Yesterday, being Father's Day, I knew I'd be making something. Whether it would be slaw for the burgers and dogs or a simple fruit salad - I didn't know. However, since my dad said the same thing this year that he always says - "Don't spend your money on me; I don't need anything" - I knew that a cake would make him happy and let me contribute to the cookout, too.

Strawberry Cake

This was an easy cake, and it's obviously a gorgeous color, and I used fresh frozen strawberries that my parents put away themselves. I'd love to make this into cupcakes one day, and before I get any further I'm going to just get this out of the way: I used canned vanilla icing. (Cowering from the gasps.) Look, I've documented before that I'm just not good with frostings. Plus, my dad is allergic to milk products, and I've tried non-dairy frostings and they're just not as tasty. And you try finding a good, fluffy, white frosting that doesn't call for milk. This frosting was tasty, easy, and considering I got up at 10 a.m. yesterday and had this cake ready for lunch at 1 ... from-scratch frosting was at the bottom of my to-do list! Plus, we held my sister's Friends of the Bride Luncheon at my house on Saturday. I was pooped - another reason the cake wasn't made in advance! But I'll be making this again some day, and I'll try any non-dairy frosting you guys suggest ... if there are any good ones out there. I'm still waiting.

Strawberry Cake

Strawberry Cake
Adapted from AllRecipes
Printer-friendly version

Ingredients
2 cups sugar
1 package strawberry-flavored gelatin
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs, room temperature
2 3/4 cups cake flour
2.5 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup strawberry puree (made from frozen, sweetened strawberries)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two nine-inch, round cake pans, or put liners in two 12-cup cupcake pans. 2. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until fluffy, about three minutes. Add eggs one at a time, and mix well after each. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Blend flour into the butter and sugar mixture, alternating with the milk. Blend in vanilla and strawberry puree. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans, or fill cupcake cups 3/4 of the way. 3. Bake round cakes 25 to 30 minutes, or until a small knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Bake cupcakes about 20 minutes, but check for doneness after 15 minutes. Cool cakes on wire rack about 10 minutes before removing. Cool completely before frosting.