Fireworks Cake (Fluffy White Frosting)

Fireworks Cake

See? This is what happens when you live in your own little archaic world and you have no Internet connection at home. Or computer. Or a computer that actually works, anyway. (But! This is soon to be in the past! Because I've picked out a new Mac! Yay!) But back to the food ...

Isn't this just the CUTEST cake ever? Isn't the shiny, puffy icing just the yummiest-looking frosting ever? Don't you just love holiday baking? OK, I'll calm down. Afterall, I spent the entire evening at work, and there's nothing much exciting about that. (No such thing as a holiday at a newspaper, you have to remember.) My co-workers thought I bought this cake from a store, and I have to admit I was very proud to tell them "Nope, I made it!" Isn't that just the best feeling?

Fireworks Cake!

First, however, I'll go ahead and tell you. I wasn't thrilled with the cake recipe I used. It was too dry, and I baked it a bit less than the recipe called for, but I should have checked it sooner. I also should have tried the cake recipe that came with the decorating instructions but I didn't because I wanted to make sure I had a white, white cake. And I'm stubborn. But it was white, white ... it would have been red and blue swirled, too, if I hadn't forgotten the food coloring. (Next time I'll do it, and don't you forget it, either!) I made up for this forgetful moment by adding some red frosting between the layers.

So the cake ... eh. But the frosting ... oh, buddy. It's a very old-fashioned frosting that looks and tastes like seven-minute frosting, but there are no thermometers involved. And boy does that make me happy. I've battled with frostings, and I think I've just missed adding the stabilizer, which in this case was cream of tartar. This frosting whipped up fast, glossy and stable - three of the best words ever when it comes to making the homemade kind. So give it a try; it would be divine on devil's food cake. Hmmm, I may have to try that next ...

Fluffy White Frosting
Adapted from Cooks.com
Printer-friendly version

Ingredients
2 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
1. In small, clean, dry bowl add egg whites, cream of tartar and salt, and mix on high speed until soft peaks form.
2. Gradually beat in sugar until smooth and glossy. Gradually beat in corn syrup and vanilla until soft peaks form. Food coloring may be added. Makes enough frosting for a 9x13 or 9-inch layer cake.
3. Decorating idea and instructions found on Bakespace.