Glazed Meatloaf

It's Almost National Meatloaf Day!

Yes, that's meat. Beef. Comfort for the soul. Meatloaf. Apologies to all my vegetarian friends; please don't cut me out of your life forever! And apologies to everybody else for waking up on a Monday morning to a big picture of ... meatloaf. But you know you want it. You do. Okay, so it's not the most attractive picture in the world. It's, like I've already said, meatloaf. It isn't supposed to be pretty. It's supposed to taste good, fill your belly, and warm your soul. And that's exactly what it did.

My husband absolutely loves meatloaf. It's quite possible that he'd trade me, his loving, beautiful, talented wife for a big piece of this stuff. Me? I like it all right. I don't mind eating it if I make it, but it's not something I'd ever order out. I mean it's just one of those foods that you make for a Sunday afternoon lunch and then you go lay on the couch and finish watching Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. But Brad? He gets it every time he sees it on a menu.

This one is, I admit, really good. And I have proof: Brad didn't put a single ounce of ketchup on his plate. Meatloaf is traditionally slathered with the stuff, but this recipe takes care of the flavor itself. Ketchup isn't necessary. Unless you want ketchup, that is, and that's cool. Again, this is comfort food, and sometimes your soul wants ketchup on its comfort food. I get that. But take a bite without it, first, and you'll see what I mean.

Glazed Meatloaf
Adapted from AllRecipes
Printer-friendly recipe

Ingredients

1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2 pounds ground beef
3 slices bread, cubed
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 egg, beaten

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In small bowl combine ketchup, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and mustard powder.

3. In a separate bowl combine beef, bread cubes, onion, egg, remaining lemon juice and 1/3 of the ketchup mixture. Mix well and put in a loaf pan.

4. Bake for 1 hour then remove from oven and drain any fat. Top with remaining ketchup mixture, and bake another 10 minutes.

(Yes; there really is a National Meatloaf Appreciation Day. It's Oct. 18, and I'm joining in the festivities. Serious Eats has all the details!)