Friday, October 19, 2007

Trying Something New - Tempura

Have you ever noticed how much Japanese food revolves around seafood? And did you know that I have a husband who's allergic to shellfish? And did you know that I was paired with Sushi Day for Taste & Create? Oh; I must have forgotten to tell you all of that. Well, I'm telling you now because this post is my switcheroo with her, and boy was it a doozy.

So it's like this: I love sushi, nigiri and maki. Lurve it, even, but Brad? He doesn't. And yes, I know that there are sushi rolls without shrimp, crab and fish, but he won't go that route, either. He's not as picky as he used to be (trust me, if you don't know that story you don't want to know. It's sad.) But he's not quite ready for sushi, and that's okay. I can deal with it. I may have found an international market last weekend in Virginia, and I may have bought the seaweed wraps. And I may have the sushi rice ready to go. But I didn't get to use it this time. Luckily, Sushi Day had JUST the recipe for me: Tempura.

It was a good choice because I could choose the veggies Brad and I would like to eat: carrots, green beans and mushrooms. It was also fun to make, and it was fun to eat while I was stuck in the kitchen making 100 cupcakes for a wedding shower on Sunday. It would be a great appetizer for a group of friends, or cocktail hour snack after work, or even a late-night snack while you catch up on the whole first season of Friday Night Lights (which is so freaking awesome, let me tell you.) Try this one day when you have a bit of time on your hands and maybe there are some hungry friends around. It'll be a hit!

You can find the original recipe here at Sushi Day, to whom I would like to say thank you for a great recipe and a bunch of sushi recipes to try when the time comes! Much thanks also to For the Love of Food for pairing us up and posting the round-up!