Blueberry Cobbler

Blueberry Cobbler

I'm sorry, but blueberries were buy one pint get another pint free! And although I'm not one to take things just because they're free (because such deals are usually rip-offs in disguise) I couldn't help myself this time. I mean seriously. Look right there. Yes, up there. See that one plump, shiny, juicy blueberry staring back at you? These were some beauties, I tell you, and I couldn't pass them up. And thankfully I didn't because this cobbler was absolutely incredible. It was quite sweet, but the soft, fluffy biscuit topping cut right through that sweetness and made bite after bite better than the one before.

I have to admit that after my failed attempt at quote-unquote healthy blueberry muffins I was a bit gun-shy. I mean, what if I tried another new recipe and it failed miserably, too? OK. Maybe I'm being too harsh. The muffins weren't that bad; they just weren't what I was hoping for. It was easy to tell myself to just get right back up on that horse and try something else. And this, my friends, was just the thing to bring a smile back to my face.

Blueberry Cobbler

Cobblers (or crumbles, crisps, grunts, slumps, buckles - you name it) aren't exactly the prettiest of dishes. I'm a firm believer that sometimes dishes are pretty, sometimes they look tasty, and sometimes you get both. This cobbler was one of those tasty-looking desserts (and, as always, the beautiful purple color of the cooked berries didn't hurt!) Cobblers aren't fancy dishes - they're what I'd call a good-old down-home dinner-with-the-family dessert. Often they're made even better with the addition of a scoop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, but this cobbler - especially warm from the oven - didn't need anything on top!

I've had and made cobblers where the biscuit topping was either too soggy or doughy or too dry. This was neither of those. It wasn't so thick that you'd get just a bite of plain biscuit. The recipe doesn't make a ton of biscuit topping and it's easy to spread, which made it that much better in the end. But the best thing about this dessert? You can make it with whatever fruit is in season - or on sale! Peaches? Cherries? Mango? OK. Not sure about mango.

Try it with your favorite fruit!

Blueberry Cobbler

Blueberry Cobbler
Adapted from Allrecipes
Printer-friendly recipe

Ingredients
2.5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 cup white sugar, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted

1 3/4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
6 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons cold butter
1 cup milk

2 teaspoons sugar
1 pinch ground cinnamon

Directions
1. Lightly grease a square baking dish. Place the blueberries into the dish, and mix with vanilla and lemon juice. Sprinkle with 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of flour, then stir in a tablespoon of melted butter.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 3/4 cups of flour, baking powder, and 6 tablespoons of sugar. Cut in 5 tablespoons of cold butter until it is in pea-sized pieces. Make a well in the center, and stir in the milk. Mix just until moistened. Cover, and let batter rest for 10 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spoon the batter over the blueberries. In a small bowl mix together the cinnamon and 2 teaspoons sugar and sprinkle over the dough.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. A knife inserted into the topping should come out clean - of course there will be blueberry syrup on the knife. Serve; keep leftovers in the refrigerator.