Macaroni and Cheese with Breadcrumbs

Macaroni and Cheese with Breadcrumbs

I grew up with a love for macaroni and cheese, but are there many kids in America who don't? It's one of the most marketed kid foods, I'd say, with that kind that comes in a box. You know, all those little rugrats with "the blues". I've never really understood how something like warm, gooey, creamy mac-n-cheese can give you the blues, but I guess it worked on some marketing test group. To me, however, a good bowl of this stuff can cure the blues. It can certainly help heal a broken heart; it can warm up a gray day; and it can bring a smile to the face of everybody who takes a bite - no matter their age!

My grandmother made great macaroni and cheese, but it was always treated as a side dish. This one, however, is more like a meal with its infusion of onions and its crunchy breadcrumb topping. In fact, we treat it like a meal quite often, and I've been known to add broccoli, chicken or a few different kinds of cheeses for a kick. This is a great recipe and I highly recommend it. I believe it was a Food Network find, but I can't be sure because I jotted it down on notebook paper years ago so I'll just have to send out a worldwide thanks.

Macaroni and Cheese with Breadcrumbs
Confabulation in the Kitchen
Makes six servings
Printer-friendly version

Ingredients
8 ounces macaroni
4 tablespoons butter, divided
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 small white onion, minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1.5 cup milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two-quart baking dish.
2. Cook pasta. Drain and set aside.
3. In a bowl, toss breadcrumbs with two tablespoons of melted butter. Set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan, melt remaining butter then stir in onions and cook until transluscent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and mustard and cook about two minutes. Add milk, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Remove pan from heat and stir in cheese.
5. Pour prepared macaroni into dish. Pour cheese mixture over top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake about 20 minutes, or until gold and bubbly.