Pumpkin Waffles

Pumpkin Waffles

I don't have a lot of experience baking and cooking with pumpkin. I readily admit that I'm not a big fan of pumpkin pie, and when my co-workers make runs to Starbucks for pumpkin-spice lattes I politely decline. (I realize there isn't actually any pumpkin in those lattes, but I'm a hot-chocolate kind of girl.) I've had pumpkin cookies, but they're too cake-like for me. And pumpkin cheesecake is okay, but it's not my cup of tea.

These pumpkin waffles, however, are some of the best waffles I've ever eaten.

Pumpkin Waffles

They're not overly pumpkinish, and since I left out the ginger they aren't too spice-laden, either. I think powdered ginger is one of the strongest spices out there, and I knew I wouldn't care for these waffles as much if I put it in the batter. At first I thought the ingredient list looked long, but these waffles turned out so wonderfully. They're soft on the inside and have a slight crunch on the outside. They have the perfect amount of chew, and they're not overly sweet. Next time I might add some crushed pecans to the batter, and perhaps I'll sprinkle the waffles with a teensy bit of powdered sugar at the end. Brad might disagree, but I hardly needed any syrup for my plate. And isn't that a clue that these are the best waffles ever? I think so!

Pumpkin Waffles

Pumpkin Waffles
by Smitten Kitchen