Apple Pancake

Apple Pancake

Have you ever been to one of those Find-Your-Own-Gem mines? Before you even arrive you just know that they're a ripoff because if it was that easy to find emeralds and rubies we'd all be zillionaires, or the stones wouldn't be worth much. Yet you go and when they blow that silly horn to announce that Mr. Smith just found a beautiful ruby and it weighs THIS MUCH, you get that little inkling of doubt in your original thought. You think, you know what? Maybe there are treasures to be found in here if I can just dig them out.

That's kind of how it was with this recipe. Apple pancake! How fabulous would that be for a brunch?! And I know Cash would love it because it combines two of his favorite things, apples and pancakes. And then I went to the reviews. And I should have heeded the warnings, but I didn't because I thought: You know what? I can do this. I'm a baker. This recipe is a diamond in the rough and just needs someone to sift through the mess and make it shine.

Again. I should have listened to the reviewers.

The flavor isn't bad, and the process makes sense, but when person after person suggested that there were too many eggs in the recipe, and that the pancake was more like an omelet, I should have listened. I should have trusted my instincts when, first, I thought "this is a lot of batter for a 9x9-inch square pan." And second, when I thought, "I'll be surprised if this actually finishes baking in 30 minutes." And third, when I went to pull it out of the oven and thought, "hmmm, this doesn't seem set in the middle." Yeah. That's because it wasn't. I hate it when that happens.

All of this being said I'm not going to give up. I think using a 9x13 pan, and halving the batter would result in a beautiful, puffy, golden pancake. I sprinkled my wedge with powdered sugar, but I think syrup would be a perfect accompaniment. All of this to say that I'm probably going to try again because this recipe is like one of those gem mines. Sure, I'm going into it with an expectation of disappointment, but there might just be a treasure somewhere under all that batter!

Apple Pancake

I can't in good conscience direct you to this recipe and recommend that you make it as written, but I will say that if any of you are up for a challenge - get to it! Tell us what changes you made, or would make, to take this recipe from dud to diamond!

Apple Puff Pancake at AllRecipes