Homemade 'Oreos' With Fall-Color Creams

Homemade 'Oreos' With Fall-Color Creams

There are few commercially made cookies I care to eat, but an Oreo is one I don't turn down. My grandfather loves them, too, and he keeps a cookie jar filled with them at my parents' house. Cash will occasionally eat the cookie, but he's one of those lick-the-center-clean kids. And me? I like to fill a glass with milk then drop the whole Oreo in for a few seconds before retrieving it with a spoon. (Call me strange, but I just don't like to dip my fingers into my cup.) And of course notice that I said a few seconds - 8 to 10 max - because otherwise the Oreo completely disintegrates. I don't know how they're made or what makes them melt, but I think it's their most endearing quality. And finding that same quality in a homemade cookie isn't an easy feat.

Homemade 'Oreos' With Fall-Color Creams

I've made these cookies before, but my first go-round didn't include the cream. This time I wanted to make a fall-inspired cookie, but I couldn't get chocolate out of my head. I think this is a happy medium. The cream was simple to make, and I would recommend that you don't skimp when filling the sandwiches. I wish I had put more cream in some of them, but I didn't want to tear them apart after squishing the cream to the edges. I also plopped it in with a spoon and a finger swipe, which explains the "rustic" quality of the edges.

Yeah. Rustic. We'll go with that.

Homemade 'Oreos' With Fall-Color Creams

Get the recipe: Homemade Oreos by Smitten Kitchen.

* One person told me he would be more than happy to sit down with a plate of the cookies, sans cream. He was obviously completely sold on the whole "homemade Oreo" thing. These cookies are dunkable.
* An idea: If you don't want to make your own cream you can always buy a can of vanilla icing and color it to your heart's content.
* Getting the cookies to bake all the same size is the hardest part - unless you own a cookie scoop. I don't have one to make teaspoon-size cookies, but I have a larger one, and I wish I had both.
* I packaged my cookies by filling a T-shirt box with coordinating tissue paper. It was easy to transport, inexpensive, and it looked cute, too.

Pin It


Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap  up           party! The Girl Creative Sumo's Sweet Stuff BWS tips button