Mashed Potato Pancakes

Mashed Potato Pancakes

Ah, New Year's resolutions. Do you make them? Good for you. In a word for me? No. I'm not much of a goal-setter, truth be told. What am I? I'm an all good things come to those who wait kind of gal. I'm a think-it-through-er most of the time, but the older I get I'm also a just-go-for-it ... er. Apparently I'm also a maker up of words. And that being said, with two kids, and a job, and this wonderful yet hectic thing called life I'm quickly becoming a make-it-up-as-I-go-along ... er. (There I go again!)

Yeah, so I'm making things up as I go along. Just like this post. Let's be honest. This post doesn't have much point, except to tell you that I am quickly becoming a complete waste-not-want-not cook-er. (Just kidding. But parallel structure and all that jazz, right?) I'm a cook who brought home a rotisserie chicken one night (legs for Brad, wings for me) and turned the leftovers into chicken salad the next day. A cook who turned that chicken carcass into chicken broth (after said carcass took a stint in the deep-freeze). A cook who brought carrots and celery home from the wings joint, and turned them into a base for soup the next day (using said broth). A cook who peeled too many potatoes for that soup and turned them into mashed potatoes the next day. And I'm a cook who used those leftover mashed potatoes to make mashed-potato pancakes for a lazy Sunday brunch.

What kind of cook are you?

Mashed Potato Pancakes

There's really no recipe to share, here. I just did what I watched my grandmother do time after time. Take cold mashed potatoes - they have to be really cold and solid - and turn them into patties. Size doesn't matter, but do try to make them all the same thickness so they cook at the same time. Dust patties with all-purpose flour. And fry them in a few tablespoons of whatever fat you have on hand. Olive oil, bacon grease, chicken fat ... it will work! Et bon appetit pour vous!

How do you use leftovers?

Pin It