Mama's Chicken and Rice Casserole



When I was growing up I loved this casserole. We had it often, and sometimes with porkchops, but making it with chicken was always my favorite. I asked for it at birthday meals, and I asked my mom to make it so I could make smaller portions and freeze them to take to college. I'm a huge fan of rice any way you make it, and the soup in this recipe makes it soooo tasty.

Of course, these days, that same soup makes me sick to my stomach. Anything made with canned cream soups does - and I think it's something besides the cream that does it to me. Milk in general doesn't bother me anymore. (I struggled with it for awhile. I have a weak stomach like my dad, so says my mom.) But that's part of growing up, I guess. At least the rest of my family enjoys it and I can make it for get-togethers and pot lucks.

I don't know where my mom got this recipe, but I'm glad she did!

Mama's Chicken and Rice Casserole

Ingredients:
2 large, raw chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces (Can also be made with bone-in chicken pieces or whole chicken breasts per servings)
3 cans cream of chicken soup (or 1 can each of chicken, mushroom and celery)
1 soup can water (Don't forget this or your rice will ... struggle.)
1 3/4 C uncooked white rice
1 stick margarine (I never use this much, a couple of tablespoons will suffice!)
1 small onion (Optional - and Brad likes it left out. I always like it left in.)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350*.
2. Mix all ingredients, except chicken and butter.
3. Pour in baking dish, place chicken on top, and push in half way.
4. Cut up butter on top.
5. Add pepper to taste.
6. Bake 1.5 hours.