Buttered Yeast Rolls

Stovetop Rolls

Ugh. If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times: I cannot freaking make bread. I mean seriously. I'm Southern! Biscuits and sourdoughs should be my friends! But no, they have to have their own little clique that I'm not invited to join because, apparently, I just don't get them, those yeasty beasts.

OK. Maybe I'm being too hard on myself. Those Behind-the-Stove Rolls up there don't look too bad, do they? And honestly they weren't that bad. They just weren't that good, either. And I'm sure it's my fault - just because the recipe says you don't have to let these puppies rise doesn't mean you shouldn't let them rise. I didn't and they turned out too dense for my taste. (The birds in the back field, however, seem to be enjoying them.)

Do you bake? What am I doing wrong? I have fresh yeast. I let it proof or whatever you call what it does. I measure the temperature of the water I use so that it matches the recipe's suggestion. I find warm, toasty places to let my bread rise - when I don't skip that step like this time. I don't overbake, and I try not to underbake. But I can. not. do. it.

But oh no, it won't beat me. I'll learn the art of breadmaking if it kills me. I guess a class is in order - but I'm not sure I can find a class like that around here. So I'll have to learn from you guys. Any and all help is appreciated. I'm desperate. It's in my DNA. I hate to fail.

Hrmph.

Buttered Yeast Rolls
Adapted from BakeSpace
Printer-friendly recipe

Ingredients:
2 packets (or 2.5 teaspoons) of yeast
2 cups of lukewarm water
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup melted shortening, slightly cooled
About 6 cups all-purpose flour
3 or 4 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:
1. Grease 9x13 pan, and set aside.
2. In large bowl, mix yeast, water and sugar. Let sit five minutes.
3. Add salt and eggs to yeast, and mix well. Add shortening and flour, and mix well.
4. Pinch dough into golfball-sized pieces, and place side by side, touching, onto pan. Let dough rise 45 minutes in a warm place, covered with clean, damp towel.
5. While dough is rising, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Bake dough about 30 minutes, or until top of rolls are golden. Remove from oven, and while they are still hot brush them with melted butter.