Ground Beef (or Turkey) Stroganoff

Ground Beef (or Turkey) Stroganoff

Things have been so busy around here, and there never seem to be enough hours in the day. And, okay, I admit that most of my free time goes to the baby - he's so much fun now as he's gotten bigger and loves to play! I have been cooking, because of course we're trying to get off on the right foot and save as much money as we can - not only in case something bad happens (i.e. a layoff; I am a print journalist, you know), but we're also putting a heavy emphasis on saving for college. No better time to start than at the beginning of his life, right? (I'm hoping it will become a habit for us as long as we're financially able to make it a habit.)

Saving money? Eating at home? Looking for comfort in an uncomfortable world? Enter Ground Beef (or Turkey) Stroganoff. Yes; it does have Cream of Mushroom Soup in it. But I'm no food snob, and I am short on time, and I happen to have a husband who adores the stuff. While I know there are recipes out there to make the soup from scratch, and believe me I have plans to try doing so, this meal hits the spot when you have a bit of time, a hungry family, and a huge to-do list. It's in our meal rotation because like I said Brad loves it. Plus it can be made with ground turkey, which I often use in recipes that call for ground beef because it's less fatty and better for us. And the best part? When all is said and done you can't tell the difference in this dish.

Ground Turkey Stroganoff
Adapted from Cooks.com
Printer-friendly version

Ingredients
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Brown ground turkey and onion in olive oil over medium-high heat. Drain off fat. Add seasonings, soup and milk. Cook over medium heat about 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add sour cream and heat through. Serve over egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.