Chicken Paprikash

Chicken Paprikash 

Is there a dish, simple or involved, that you've always wanted to try? Chicken Paprikash was just such a dish for me. I've seen it in countless magazines and cookbooks, and I've clipped one version after another. There is really no reason I haven't tried it; if you know my style of cooking you know that Chicken Paprikash is right up my alley. It's simple yet full of flavor; it's homey and comforting; and it goes perfect over rice or noodles, making it kid-friendly. When I saw it in my Martha Stewart magazine I knew I had to give it a try. I love Martha's savory recipes, and I've always had good luck with them. This was no different. It was so easy, and while it's not the most beautiful meal I've ever made it hit the spot and was easy to put together after a long day of work. It will warm your belly on a cool, fall night, too. What's not to like?

Chicken Paprikash
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Printer-friendly version

The key to one-pot dishes that come together quickly is to have all your ingredients ready and on hand. Measure everything out and have it in front of you before you turn on your stove, and this dish will be all that much easier.

Ingredients
3 pounds chicken, skin-on
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons oil
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions
1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large pot, heat oil over high heat. Cook chicken, skin side down, about six minutes. Turn and cook six more minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
2. Pour oil out of pot, reserving 1 tablespoon. Reduce heat to medium, add onion to oil and cook until soft. Using a wooden spoon, scrape brown bits from the bottom of pot. Add garlic and cook three minutes. Add paprika and flour, sprinkle salt and pepper, and cook, stirring constantly, until paprika turns dark and fragrant and begins to stick, about one minute. Add chicken broth and whisk well. Add diced tomatoes and stir. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and return chicken to pot, skin side up. Cover and cook 20 minutes, until chicken is done.
3. Cook noodles or rice while chicken finishes. Divide between four dishes, and top with chicken.
4. Add sour cream to sauce and stir well. Pour over chicken and noodles or rice. Serve hot.

Pin It